Friday, September 23, 2011

Does changing your fuel filter help improve gas mileage?

I have a 04 Silverado 2500HD, it has just shy of 70,000 miles on it, and as far as I know the fuel filter has never been change. I am about to take a mini road trip with a horse trailer so I am looking at doing a few little things to help improve my mileage...just wondering if this would be a decent investment before I hit the road. ( i dont want the typical answers....tire pressure, plugs, stuff like that i know that crap....) (mechanic standpoint would be appreciated even more)
Does changing your fuel filter help improve gas mileage?
Yes, change the fuel filter. I have a Siverado pickup and by changing the fuel filter, your mileage will increase. Your vehicle is equipped with fuel injection system, and needs to be in tip top shape for it to perform correctly. My truck was acting up, stalling, running like crap. Warning lights coming on, so I tuned it up. Still ran like crap. I changed the filter and it ran like a new engine. With 70,000 miles on your truck, I would change the fuel filter now! Filters are to be changed at least once a year.



It is located along the frame on the left side about half way down. I beleive you will need a 3/4 and a 5/8 inline tool to loosen the fittings. Also, if the 'o' rings are bad, you will need to replace them as well. It takes about 15 minutes to do this.
Does changing your fuel filter help improve gas mileage?
Actually it might not improve mileage but it will improve the performance of your truck. Allowing the engine to get the right fuel air mix without one or the other being restricted is paramount for top performance. Plus you dont want to get out someplace and have your engine stall because it was not getting enough fuel to run. So mileage maybe a little but a lot performance wise. Plus cleaner fuel is always better.
Yes make sure you change your fuel FILTER. It filters out the impurities and trash that may be in the gas your pumping in your tanks. This filter should be changed .
By all means, change the fuel filter; it helps to remove impurities in your fuel so your vehicle will run better. However, a new fuel filter alone will not improve your gas mileage.
yes,certainly.
not really but it prevents it from being clogged up

No comments:

Post a Comment